Children to South Africa
Posted on Thu 27th August 2015 9.43AM Notarial

New rules have come into force for anyone travelling with a child into or out of South Africa


In the case of both parents travelling with the child, they must have what is called an "unabridged" birth certificate. This is a reference to a full certificate, and it must be an original, not a photocopy - photocopying anyway breaches Crown copyright.

Where only one parent is travelling then in addition there must be a sworn affidavit from the other party giving certain information, a copy of any court order or a death certificate if applicable.


When traveling with a child not your own you must in addition have copies of the parents' passports and contact details for the parents.


These documents should be dealt with by a notary. The South African Embassy publishes a standard form of affidavit which refers to it being sworn by a Commissioner of Oaths. Note that this is a South African term and is not the same thing as an English Commissioner for Oaths.


Any document going abroad should be dealt with by a notary public, whose role is recognised in South African law. At least one parent has already been caught out by these rules!


Leave comment below
Your name
Your comment
Confirmation code