What can be legalised
Posted on Wed 13th November 2013 4.09PM Legalisation

Although legalisation is the authentication of the notary's signature and seal, there are certain documents which, although attached to an English notary's certificate, the Foreign Office will not deal with. These include foreign documents such as marriage and birth certificates. The only way to deal with these is to have the document legalised in the country of origin. English notaries cannot legalise foreign education qualifications unless they can say that they have verified their authenticity, something which is impractical in many cases.

Those who have to work abroad in particular need to think ahead if they have any key document issued outside of the UK. They may need to use a lawyer in the original jurisdiction to verify the document and have it legalised. This will take time and can be costly.


Leave comment below
Your name
Your comment
Confirmation code